Monday, March 9, 2015

Spring is 'round the Corner!

On this rainy morning all I can think about is that Spring is just around the corner. Spring brings fresh flowers, new leaves on trees, sunshine, and a preview of the summer. One of my favorite things about Spring is that it is the season of planting! Many plants flourish during the Spring with very little effort from humans. I used to think that there was absolutely no way I could ever keep any plant alive but in the past year I have learned that herbs take very little maintenance. My herb garden barely survived through the winter, but the cilantro held strong.


This is why Spring is SO exciting for me, it means an herb garden that will be green and thriving again. I spent $5.00 a piece on my herbs last year, $20.00 on a garden box, and $10.00 on soil. For under 50 dollars I had an herb garden that provided fresh ingredients that I could put in every type of meal I was preparing and I almost entirely eliminated using store bought seasoning. The reason that eliminating seasoning out of my diet is a good thing is because a lot of store-bought seasonings have food dye (that is from unnatural sources), extra salt, and chemical preservatives.

I am not the type of person that has a perfect,  100% clean diet but I am determined to minimize the harms I cause to my body, or at least have my unhealthy stuff be food I enjoy. I would take a glass of wine over food dye any day of the week.

I also think that having fresh herbs will make cooking a more delightful experience. If you have fresh herbs on hand you might be more proactive to look for recipes that contain them. Let's also be honest, seeing fresh herbs everyday is also not such a bad thing. ;)

I bought all my herbs already grown as opposed to seeds because I just didn't trust myself to bring something to life from the get go, but I have read so many great articles on other blogs that give great direction on how to do this!

Blog Post on growing herbs from seeds

The article above has such a great author and is really well written, definitely a must read for anyone interested in growing an herb garden from seeds!

If you aren't sure where to start for your upcoming herb garden please use the visualization below! I personally grew basil, rosemary, oregano, cilantro, and mint. I adore basil and think it belongs in everything, against my husband's wishes but the great thing about a diverse herb garden is getting yourself to experiment and explore your preferences!

(Art work by http://www.heather-hardison.com/)





As we head into spring start keeping your eyes open for gardening pots, boxes and planters! Catching a sale on a cute planter will only motivate you more to fill it up!

Enjoy!

XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment