Wednesday, February 25, 2015

100% Clean Dinner: Cilantro Lime Chicken Stir-Fry with an Arugula Salad

 First let's review what clean eating is:


Clean eating: Eating natural foods that aren't processed, don't have any added chemicals or preservatives and are generally meats, fruits and veggies.

Eating clean benefits your body in so many ways, but the main benefit is that your body will actually use the nutrients in the foods you are eating. My husband got me hooked on stir-fry for a clean meal, and it would be what I recommend to anyone who is looking for a healthy, easy and relatively quick dinner. I am not as hooked as my husband, who could eat stir-fry seven times a week, but I am a huge fan!


First rule of stir-fry: pick out your favorite veggies and put it with a meat. If you follow that rule, your dinner with taste good and likely be something you already have ingredients for.


The stir-fry I made Monday contained:

- 1 chicken breast

- 1 orange bell pepper

- 1 zucchini

- 1/2 cup of onion

- 1 cup of mushrooms

- a handful of fresh cilantro

- 2 baby limes

- 1 tablespoon of olive oil


First I squeeze lime juice on the chicken, pepper it slightly and then put it in a pan on medium heat. I get the outside a little golden and then turn down the heat somewhere between low and medium. (I put oil in the pan!)


In a second pan (that has coconut oil as well) I put my veggies that I have cut up. I put this pan on a high heat for about 4 minutes, and then put it on a medium heat and let it sit for about 4 minutes while stirring every once in a while. I sprinkle cilantro on the chicken and veggies.


When the chicken looks 90% cooked (white inside) I mix everything together in one pan just so the chicken absorbs the flavors of the bell pepper. I put a lid on this and let it sit for about 3 minutes.




After the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are mostly soft you are ready to eat! The prep time for this was maybe 2 minutes to cut everything up, and the cooking time was about 12 minutes or so. Making stir-fry is so easy and is such a healthy meal!


I added a salad to get more veggies in, so I combined a handful of arugula with half a tomato and half a cucumber with a garlic vinegar dressing. I like to add cheese to everything, so I grated some Parmesan over this.




Eating healthy can be EASY, QUICK and CHEAP. This meal cost maybe 8-12 bucks, and it made dinner for 2 people...who eat a lot. If you are new to clean eating, this recipe can help you get started. Make this stir fry idea your own! Sometimes we use ground beef and put that over rice or mashed potatoes; there is a lot of creative ways to make stir fry hit any craving you may have.


If you need more recipes like this, or need a personal meal planner feel free to reach out to me! My BeachBody challenge groups always have tons of people sharing their own recipes and meals.


kkgentry@beachbodycoach.com


XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment