Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Homemade mac and cheese!

I love cheese. I love carbs and I love fresh herbs. So I set out on a mission to make a healthier version of Mac and Cheese. I think it's difficult to make anything with cheese too healthy, but I certainly believe that fresh cheese from the deli is much healthier than that powder cheese that comes in the mac and cheese boxes. 
Ingredients:
Block(s) of cheese
Pasta *I used gluten free quiona*
1 cup of milk
1-2 tbsp of flour
Choice of herb
pinch of salt and pepper

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes


So the first thing I did was put a pot with a cup of milk on the stove top at a medium heat and then I chose my 3 favorite cheeses and cut them up into small cubes that would be easy to melt (grating the cheese is also an option!).


Next step is getting the cheese to melt, so keep stirring with the milk. I added a tbsp of gluten free flour to thicken the mixture and to help combine the cheese and milk. Gage what amount of cheese you want, but I used about 1/4 of each block. I also put a dash of salt and pepper as I was stirring



While I got the cheese to a consistency I liked I also started boiling up the pasta! When the cheese reached the creaminess I liked I just switched the heat to a very low setting and kept stirring periodically to keep the cheese creamy. I added fresh oregano through-out the process and sprinkled a few leaves on the final product.

Lastly I added fresh oregano from my herb garden. My herb garden is small, but it is one of the best investments you could EVER make. I have had an herb garden for about 1 year and I rarely season anything because fresh herbs are the bomb. We have our herbs in a partially shaded part of the porch for a good portion of the day, and we water the plants at most 5 times  a week. Keeping the herbs alive is easier than you would think, and some of ours survived the winter!

All of my herbs cost about 5-6 dollars to start, and besides a pot and soil I haven't had to put any other money into it. I think it's a fun hobby and really adds excitement to cooking!

The result was FABULOUS. It was much simpler than I thought and tasted really good! If you aren't used to gluten-free noodles then it won't taste as good as noodles with gluten, but for someone like me gluten-free is the only option and I wouldn't have it any other way!

This totally fit my meal plan for the fitness program I am doing too! You don't have to avoid carbs or fats to be healthy, it's all about moderation and balance.

Enjoy!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment